Saturday, January 11, 2014

My king-size bedspread

I decided that I wanted to make an easy king-size bedspread so I looked on line and found the directions to make a rag quilt.  Sounded so easy so I gave it a try.  I used three different coordinating fabrics and cut them into 10 inch squares.  I sewed 3 of the squares together and then stitched an X from corner to corner.

The next step was to sew the squares together.  With this quilt you sew the squares where the seams will be on the front of the quilt.
The next step was clipping all the seams.  Since this was such a large quilt, I spent hours clipping the seams.  It was so hard on my hands and they ached every night.  I did wear a pair of my winter gloves to keep from getting blisters on my hands.  Besides the sore hands, I had bits of string all over the house.  This really was a messy project.
The next step was adding the binding.  I searched on the internet and found a tutorial on how to bind a quilt.  I first sewed one edge of the binding to the quilt and then I had to hand sew the other edge.  Hand sewing is just something that I have never been able to do very well.  And the hand sewing on this quilt took me two days!
When I finally finished the binding, I took the quilt to our local laundry place and washed it in an extra large washing machine and then dried the quilt in a dryer.  The quilt was just too large for my home machines.  The following pictures show how the quilt looks after the seams fray from washing and drying.
I wanted a rustic quilt that had some bright colors.  The man of the house said that it looked like an old quilt and that is just what I wanted.
In summary, I am just so happy that this quilt is finished! 

No comments:

Post a Comment